Friday, August 31, 2007

Noreena Jasper

Next on the “digging list” for this year is Noreena Jasper. This is a stunning rock Glenn found and named himself.

When we reach the lease we find a bushfire has gone through since we were here last year and the area looks quite bleak. Only the eucalyptus trees have regrowth and there are very few of those. Even the Spinifex is only just sprouting again. However, there’s lots of colour here. All sorts of flowers are in bloom and where we make our camp it seemed as if we had a garden (much to my delight!) as we were surrounded by colourful plants.



Glenn gets the backhoe into operation and soon the bags are filling up.

Every piece we throw into the bag must be knapped first as the seams can be fickle. Just about every good piece of rock is geometric in shape and just a small tap on one corner will show the potential colours inside. It was very satisfying to give a plain red rock a little tap and see pretty colours just peeking out.

Here (below) Glenn is sitting against the seam and has sprayed the broken rock with water to show how it will polish.



(click on image to enlarge)


10 comments:

Avus said...

This is a really interesting blog, Helen - I am going to add you to my links, if that's OK?
(See my latest posting on "Stone Knives")

herhimnbryn said...

Rock on H!

Dragon said...

I have worked this amazing material and kindly refer to it as my Christmas rock. Mainly because every new slab opens up to a new surprise with each layer I cut. It was a pleasure to meet Glenn this past trip to Quartzite.
Dragon
www.dragonsayeauctions.com

Anonymous said...

I came across this stone while doing a google search of my name (Noreena). The spelling of my name is not common and usually spelled Norina. Just wondering, how you came up with the name. Of course I love it!

Helen said...

Noreena Jasper was named after Noreena Station which is the name of the property on which the rock was found and is mined. It is in the Pilbara Region of Western Australia.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Helen for the info. I'm looking forward to my husband buying me one for my birthday. ;)

Anonymous said...

My name is Norine, last name, Stone...no joke! I found a piece of this stone at a Gem and Lapidary show a couple of weeks ago. Very cool and exciting! Thanks for the info!

Helen said...

You are very welcome. Have you seen my partner's website? outbackmining.com
He is the miner of this rock.

Anonymous said...

this is fossil stromatolite material NOT mudstone

Helen said...

Well, anonymous, why don't you ask the miner? outbackmining.com