Thursday, December 07, 2006

Dig Dig Dig

During the winter we dig the rocks and in the summer take them to America to sell at the shows. It takes us a day or two to drive to the mines. Up here the temperatures during the day are around 20 to 30 degrees celcius. Warm days and cool nights. Perfect!




Partner is up ahead in truck loaded with backhoe while I follow in the Land Cruiser pulling the trailer.



As you can see, scenery on the way can be a bit 'samey' but it has its moments. I listen to the radio, cassette tapes and do the odd crossword (for hours and hours and hours!).










Beautiful skies here. Clear air. And only the sound of the birds and insects.









The only water is from windmills which pump water up into tanks and there is a pool for the cattle and sheep.

To think, I used to go to an airconditioned office every day and do 'office things'. Now this is my work place. Which would you choose? I'd choose the fresh air every time.









This is crazy lace agate.









You can see more rocks here.


















Some would say the dust and flies could be slightly off-putting. I take them on as a challenge.









After a few days I was on first-name terms with some of the flies. They joined me inside my fly net. Others were just plain ignorant little buggers.









Western Australia has a huge amount of wildflowers during winter/spring. There was colour everywhere.










The dust didn't seem to bother our dog who enjoyed forraging for mice! I know it looks like chocolate but, really, it isn't.












Rock dug, sorted, packed into bags.


Truck ordered, loaded, and away it goes.


Job done!






1 comment:

herhimnbryn said...

great post H.
Images of your working day are somewhat differant to your 'old' life huh?